I had been having contractions on and off for about a week. There were several days when contractions were every 3-10 minutes apart all day long, and then they'd just stop at the end of the day. It was a bit frustrating because we'd get our hopes up, but then baby wouldn't come. Saturday morning I went to see my midwife, and she 'stripped my membranes' (don't you just love that phrase?). Throughout the day I had pretty strong contractions and they started getting stronger and closer together at around 11:00 at night. Then at 1:30 a.m. my water broke, and contractions became very intense and 30 seconds to 1 minute apart. We called our midwife right away, and my mom and sister (Kayla) came over shortly thereafter.
Labor was intense and painful, of course, but luckily I progressed very quickly. I went from being 4 cm dialated to 10 cm in just over 2 hours, and it only took about 5-10 minutes of hard pushing before baby Ty was delivered. Jarett was a lot of help and support during labor, as were my mom, sister, and midwife--I couldn't have done it without them.
Delivering our baby at home was an amazing experience--I would highly recommend it for anybody considering the idea. I'd love to share details as to why, or answer any questions or concerns about home births for those interested. Feel free to contact me for my two bits.
Baby and I are both doing very well. Jarett and my family have been a big help in taking care of us, Bryce, and the house while I'm recovering. Bryce thinks the baby is pretty neat, and enjoys giving him "loves"...he has a hard time remembering to be gentle though, so we're working on that. We feel so blessed to now have two beautiful sons as part of our little family.
17 comments:
Jenna he is so cute! Congratulations! I am glad that your home birth was a positive experience for you. What a fun early Christmas present!
Congratulations! I am so happy for you, and happy that everything went well. He is ADORABLE, and I cannot believe all the hair! Holy cow! I can't wait to meet him and see you again!
Congratulations!! That is so exciting! I was 8 days over with Eli and 5 days over with Audrie - no fun. And you better believe that next time I get pregnant I will be calling/emailing you about home birth. Natural birth is really the coolest thing ever! Congrats again! He is adorable!!!
Jenna!!
I'm freaking out I'm sooo excited for you guys!! Oh wow, Ty is sooo handsome!
Way to go Jenna!! I would absolutely LOVE to hear the details of your home birth!! Are you kidding? I'll call you once you've had a chance to settle in with your sweet little baby :)
Congratulations on such a BEAUTIFUL baby boy!!!!
Ty is so adorable--I can't believe all his hair! And you are very brave and amazing (speaking as someone who had to endure natural childbirth NOT by choice).
Congratulations Guys! I want to talk about it some time ;) I love all that hair, it is great!
Congrats! Your baby is so cute and sweet. You should post an entry on home birth because I think all of us would like to know about it. After paying close to $8000 for my son's delivery (with insurance), home birth sounds appealing!
CONGRATULATIONS! What an adorable boy! I'm so glad that all went well with the labor and delivery. I would love to hear more about your home birth experience!
Congratulations! He is such a handsome little boy. I cannot believe that head of hair.
Jenna he is so cute! Congrats over and over again on your new arrival...two little boys are the best! I am impressed with your home birth, that is truly amazing! Can't wait to see more pictures of your cute family.
CONGRATULATIONS, Jenna! Your little Ty looks so adorable! Isn't a newborn's smell just intoxicationg? I love how tiny they are, how much they sleep :), and how much they depend on their mother. How exciting! 2 boys are a handful, but a wonderful one at that.
Well...since NO ONE in your family has sent us any news regarding Ty's birth, I'm glad to hear he's here and that you're both doing well. We missed you guys at the Thanksgiving family reunion, but totally understand. Congratulations...he's healthy and beautiful!!
Love you guys!
Aunt Bonnie
Hey lady! Congrats!! I'm still in shock about the whole home birth thing. I am a WHIMP compared to you. I do not even bother pretending that I am going to try to do a birth without an epidural. I LOVE epidurals. :) But I'm glad there are strong women like you who can handle it. :) Ty looks like a doll. I'm glad you're doing well! And thanks for the well wishes. :) LOVE YA AND MISS YA!!!!
That is exciting news dudes! That's some pretty sweet hair!
Jamieson and Marlo
Congratulations! He is so cute, especially with all that hair! I would be interested to hear your opinions about home birth, as well. I nearly had to have Carter without an epidural or any pain medication (not my choice-he came too fast)...but he ended up being breech so I they made me have a C-Section.
Hi Jenna, I was blog surfing and found your blog. I've always thought a home birth would be such an amazing experience! I am not a fan of the hospitals. Congrats on your beautiful baby!
Congratulations!!! It's been so long since I've seen your blog.. We have a blog and a baby "Ty" too. Check it out at thayneandnatalie.blogspot.com. Love ya!
Natalie VT G
Post a Comment